living in this world...
... where we are constantly drawn by the things of this world.. by the people around us.. by the various interpretations of life's values.. yet we (as christians) struggle to "not conform any longer to the pattern of this world".. to see life's values from God's perspective.. to be a light that shines & show others the way to God.. to have a renewed mind & live a godly life!
but in our attempt to live a godly life, did we indirectly/unknowingly build a wall where others (non-christians) could not approach us because we seem too "holy" for them? are we living in a different dimension where it is too foreign for them? did we lose them along the way? i think it would be worthless if our godliness are not proceeding from love & reverence for God but just religious duties of the do's & don't's. Though it may be a godly walk to others, but without God in the picture? it could only be a godless walk...
here's what Paul wrote to Titus on the importance of right living:
"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." Titus 2:11-14
is living a life of Godliness an impossible mission?
share with us your view, click on "comments"..

4 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Living a life of Godliness is not an impossible mission but I feel that it can be quite "tough". It would help by surrounding ourselves with people who love GOD too. By doing so, we continue to reinforce one another with the words of GOD and pray for one another and seek GOD's wisdom and guidance. When the people around us see that we could lead a life of GODliness, this could inspire them to accept CHRIST and lead a life of righteousness.
Some of my non-Christian friends do make fun about me being a Christian. When they ask me out to party, I seldom join them, thus slowly I feel detached from this group of friends and in their eyes I became a "wierdo".
We could choose to stay away from those friends for we do not want to continue their ways and stray from GOD. On the other hand, we could continue to engage them and hope to influence them gradually and bring them to GOD.
Christians might deem consumption of beer as something "unholy". The question is should Christians meet up for beer drinking? I guess the purpose of meeting them up is important. I take it as an opportunity to share with them what I have been doing recently, talked about my church and my involvement in church activities. I hoped that by sowing a seed today, it could blossom into something fruitful in future. Can you imagine if all the Christians start to isolate themselves from the non-Christians, how are we going to spread the good news and bring them to Kingdom of GOD.
I feel that we should not build a wall around ourselves and unknowingly left non-christians outside the wall. Instead we should continue to engage them so that they can see how GOD has changed our life positively and let our testimony glorify GOD and also touch their hearts.
Written by: Ho to the power of 3.
3notes, this a really good thought! It has been in my mind for very long time, thanks for bringing this up on the web for comments and discussion!
Indeed, to live as a Holy person in an unholy world is a struggle. I am a Christian myself and it's truely a struggle especially those who are around me are mostly non-Christians. And those Christians who are around me, seems to be too holy- at times. Which even I myself couldn't take it!
I can see that non-Christians' response to life difficulties are different from us (Christians). Sometimes it's like Reality vs. Faith. In Reality, their suffering is very real to them and can be seen. By Faith, who can they trust? Is it Religion, Themselves (Free-thinker) or Faith in our God. In Religion, you will have this lot of people who will go around looking for help from medium or Fengshui or do a lot of things; some will only trust in THEIR own capability to make things work; as for Faith in God, it is not a religion, it is a lifestyle and acknowlegdement that we want to please God and we trust and believe in Him... though we can't see what we are believing in.
At times we can be so "holy" that we forgot how to put ourselves in their shoes. We have became unfeeling to their needs and their thougts. Because of our strong believe, we forgot that they do not know our God as well as we do, not to say trust... And therefore, whatever is said becomes a "Feng1 Liang2 Hua3" to them. or something they cannot relate to, or too holy to relate to.
As for me, yes, I will strive to live a Godly life in this unholy world! And at the same time reaching out to the non-Christians, not giving up on either side of the world. Standing in the gap! (hope this is not a holy speech! =P )
God bless you!
The following verse seems relevant to this discussion:
1 Corinthians 9 :: New International Version (NIV)
19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
Thank you. Ho
Post a Comment
<< Home