Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Sign?

No... today's entry is not about some science fiction stuff - though I admit, the title can be quite misleading...

Isn't it true that "signs" are just about one of the most important thing that human would need? Whether it takes the form of a sign board for road users; or it serves as a warning to the public against littering; or by looking at the clouds to know if it's gonna rain or shine; even as a perceptible indication of something not immediately apparent (like a confirmation/clue that something has happened) or an event that is experienced as indicating important things to come... Whatever it may be - we always ask or look out for one!

So it was in my case when I was searching for a home church in Melbourne. I asked for a sign that I would know, which of the 3 churches I have attended over the last 2 weeks is D-one God has intended for me. The sign I asked for? That I will be approached by members of the church after service to make me feel welcomed & at home. You may think this seems really easy but it's far from truth... The truth is:

Destiny Church: None! No one came to me or spoke a word to me
City Church Melbourne: Only 1 guy who apparently was on duty to greet & welcome people to church before service starts... I suppose - this is not counted!

I was at Manningham Christian Centre (MCC) last Sunday morning - 20min drive from my apartment. The church is almost similar to Destiny Church - with approx. 150 members. Worship was led by a Pastor who played the keyboard & worship lead simultaneously. Supported by a guitarist, another guy who played the flute & harmonica (between songs) & 3 female back up singers. Though there was a drum set on stage but there was no drummer that day (on vacation, I suppose). Mostly adults with some children - hardly any youths. Wait a minute... doesn't this just described HCC? Ha! No wonder I felt quite at home with this church! * CHAY! * Nah... Many were away on holidays.

At the end of the service, I headed for the exit because I had lunch appointment with Aunty Betty (a friend of my dad). The senior Pastor of MCC was standing at the door to bid farewell to members & he started a conversation with me. 5mins later, he introduced me to Hazel Lee (a Singaporean who migrated to Melbourne 10yrs ago) & I was subsequently being introduced to Ruth then to Robyn & much later to Daryl... Eventually, I stayed for fellowship with these people over a cup of tea & some cookies!

On my way to Aunty Betty's house, I realized God had shown me the sign...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home